In 2015, breast cancer will be diagnosed in 25,000 women and 220 men in Canada. Breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in Canadian women, with 1 in 4 cancer cases being breast cancer. The 25,000 cases diagnosed is equivalent to 99.7 cases per 100,000 women. The risk of being diagnosed increases with age, with 82 percent of cases being diagnosed in Women over age 50, with the other 18 percent being diagnosed before age 50. For women aged 30-49, the risk of being diagnosed is 1 in 500. Breast cancers in younger women are often more aggressive, and progress quickly into more advanced stages.

Breast Cancer cases in men make up 0.9 percent of breast cancer cases, and 0.2 percent of all cancer cases in men. Breast cancer in men is not well understood, and is often misdiagnosed and not diagnosed until it is in the later stages and fewer treatment options are available.

Breast cancer is one of the four most diagnosed forms of Cancer, along with Prostate, Lung, and Colorectal.