2nd UPDATE: 6:30 PM December 27, 2022
The Freezing Rain Warning issued for the west central area has been lifted. Poor driving conditions remain in the area, due to the icy roads caused by the freezing rain and ice pellets. For the most up to date road conditions head here.
UPDATE: 5:10 PM December 27, 2022
Freezing rain is expected to continue early this evening for much of southern Saskatchewan, as a low pressure system developing in Alberta spreads freezing rain ahead of a warm front.
Freezing rain developed in western sections of the province this morning and spread into Regina early this afternoon.
Some areas under the freezing rain warning including Regina and sections of the Trans-Canada highway will see more than 6 hours of freezing precipitation, creating extremely hazardous travel conditions.
Road closures are highly likely and power outages are a distinct possibility.
Travellers should still exercise extreme caution, as the transition to freezing rain and ice-covered surfaces may occur without warning.
The freezing rain should wrap up this evening in most areas.
Surfaces such as highways, roads, walkways and parking lots will become icy, slippery and hazardous.
Ice build-up may cause tree branches to break. Utility outages may occur.
Public Safety Canada encourages everyone to make an emergency plan and get an emergency kit with drinking water, food, medicine, a first-aid kit and a flashlight.
Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to SKstorm@ec.gc.ca or tweet reports using #SKStorm.
Some significant precipitation will be hitting the west central region today, and there is a chance of freezing rain ahead of the system.
Anywhere from 5 to 10 cm of snow is expected to fall beginning around noon Tuesday, before becoming heavier as the afternoon rolls on.
People may have to adjust their driving schedules to get ahead of this weather event.
Find all the latest weather information here.
Freezing rain warning in effect for:
- R.M. of Antelope Park including Loverna and Hoosier
- R.M. of Biggar including Biggar and Springwater
- R.M. of Chesterfield including Eatonia and Mantario
- R.M. of Eye Hill including Macklin Denzil and Evesham
- R.M. of Grandview including Handel and Kelfield
- R.M. of Grass Lake including Salvador and Reward
- R.M. of Heart's Hill including Cactus Lake
- R.M. of Kindersley including Kindersley Brock and Flaxcombe
- R.M. of Mariposa including Tramping Lake and Broadacres
- R.M. of Marriott south of Biggar
- R.M. of Milton including Alsask and Marengo
- R.M. of Monet including Elrose Wartime and Forgan
- R.M. of Mountain View including Herschel and Stranraer
- R.M. of Newcombe including Glidden and Madison
- R.M. of Oakdale including Coleville
- R.M. of Pleasant Valley including McGee and Fiske
- R.M. of Prairiedale including Major and Smiley
- R.M. of Progress including Kerrobert and Luseland
- R.M. of Reford including Landis and Leipzig
- R.M. of Rosemount including Cando and Traynor
- R.M. of Snipe Lake including Eston and Plato
- R.M. of St Andrews including Rosetown and Zealandia
- R.M. of Tramping Lake including Scott and Revenue
- R.M. of Winslow including Dodsland and Plenty